This Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese recipe is some of the best baby food I’ve ever eaten, I mean tested. Yes, I realize we’re talking about baby food but let’s be honest, anything that involves cheese is yummy. And if your baby happens to be a sweet potato fan then this dish will be magical. Sweet potatoes are a baby favorite and superfood. Beta-carotene is the good stuff found in this orangey, root vegetable which is important for vision, healthy skin and protection from infections. At least that’s what the internet told me 🙂
This is the first time I’ve been successful in making my own baby food. I tried with baby number one and gave up as soon as she rejected carrots. I don’t remember attempting to try with baby number two — which makes me sad. But I’m determined that I can do it with baby number three a.k.a Preemie! (His actual name is Wallace, lol.)
Sweet Potato Mac + Cheese Baby Food Recipe
- 1 cup of cooked sweet potato (instructions on how to bake are below)
- 1 cup of noodles – any kind will do
- 1/2 cup of parmesan or cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp of water (I use filtered) or whatever milk your little one drinks
Note: You can adjust the portions of each ingredient based on your babies likes and dislikes.
Tip: If you’re trying to fatten up your little person – add a teaspoon of unsalted butter before blending. My littlest guy is a preemie so sometimes I do this.
1.Bake or boil sweet potato – whatever you prefer. Poke the sweet potato with a fork a few times. Stick it in the oven to cook for 1 hour at 400 degrees. Let it cool for at least 15 minutes before removing the skin (it’s super easy to remove).
2. Bring a small pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta until soft but not mushy! Drain and set aside.
3. Add the sweet potato, pasta, cheese, water or milk and butter (optional) in blender. Blend until you reach the desired consistency. Add 1 tablespoon of water or milk in increments for a thinner consistency.
Another great thing about this dish is that it’s suitable for freezing. I freeze my little guy’s food in Baby Cubes which are freezable food storage containers.
One box comes with 8 cubes and a tray that the cubes click into. There’s also a little whiteboard insert that you can write the date on. I love it. And if you get multiple sets they can stack on top of each other for easy storage.
I sincerely hope your baby loves this Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese recipe as much as mine does. Really. Because I know how discouraging it is when they reject your food.
My solution to that is – find the one food they love and mix it with everything. 😉
Hungry for more? Check out my other recipes here!